Friday, June 11, 2010

Nature is full of contradictions... and articles

Well, it looks like it has been quite a while since I wrote a post on here, but I have been working hard on writing articles and doing the rewrites, then getting confused and losing them in my normal Numpty fashion! Add to this, trying to get my head round the different submission pages for article directories.

Some are not obvious to a Numpty so be warned but I dare say a bear of little brain will have more success than me! My head does not work in a logical fashion and I get mixed up easily :-/ and what ever I try, I still seem to over complicate things and get in a right mess.

I doubt that I would ever win 'The Apprentice' not that I would want to I don't think. The folks on there are scary and I don't just mean Sir Alan Sugar!!

Other than my brain not being firing on all cylinders, my connection speed has been so very slow. The injured hamster phoned in sick and his replacement, Mr Slugsy, was not up to the job I'm afraid to the point I was going off to make coffee in between the page changes which isn't much fun when you're just checking links and stuff. Talk about frustration and a lot of bad language aimed at my PC, the wall, you name it!

The delay did nothing for my mood even when its lovely and sunny outside. Apart from the falling fluffy, gull chicks!

That wasn't just thrown in to catch you off guard.
  1. it just shows you the way my brain jumps around and it seems fine to me! Totally normal.
  2. and its true...
Along the row where I live, we have no vehicle access except along the one end. The other end leads to some very steep steps and a gap between the buildings to get to the road and the promenade. I live that close to the sea!!! Pity I can't see it from here because of the big, posh Victorian houses in the way. But it is that close.

Anyway, this last week we have had a couple of fluffy gull chicks dead on the path of the row. Far too young to be away from the neat so I thought that rats had raided a nest somewhere close. Oh the joys of nature eh?! More a result of loads of take away places and bins over-flowing!! Rats aren't daft, easy pickings.

But yesterday playing out the front with my lad, I looked up as some people walked towards us, just in time to see something fall to the ground. I presumed it was something the gulls had took out of the bins or mugged an old person for. Yeah, they are really that big and they look you in the eye with a 'go on then, I dare you!' look about them. Well scary..!

Then this sandwich/ wrapper started moving and we had a look to discover that it was another chick which went on to fidget a bit before it died. Not a mark on it but I dare say its insides were mush after landing from over four storeys up. Ow!! That was a bit of a shock and got me wondering whether the population is a bit too big if they are doing this. Not sure what the chicks are but I will find out, hang on...

They are Great black-backed gull chicks. I wondered if they were but I don't know why an adult would kill one of their own other than over paternity and territory, a bit like lions. These 2 foot (plus) tall birds are the top predator around here on the coast and they are scary with a very long and sharp beak. The smaller gulls get out of their way as they are known to attack and eat the smaller birds.

These birds supply the dawn chorus around here and its a right racket I can tell you especially on bin day. Horrible and beautiful all at the same time.

Nature is full of contradictions...

No comments:

Post a Comment